Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID)
AVID is offered as an elective course that, like any other class, meets regularly. Each week, students receive two hours in tutor led study groups and additional class activities that include critical reading and writing skills. Skills learned in the AVID class are utilized in all content areas. AVID students are encouraged to take a rigorous college preparatory curriculum and move into Advanced Placement and/or International Baccalaureate courses.
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID Student Profile
The AVID student is a student with academic potential:
- Average-to-high test scores
- 2.0-3.5 GPA
- College potential with support
- Desire and determination
The AVID student meets one or more of the following criteria:
- First in family to attend college
- Historically least served in four-year colleges (e.g., underrepresented as a racial or ethnic group)
- Low income
- Special circumstances (e.g., foster youth)